Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Food Storage Pancakes!

My sister -in-law, Jennifer, gave me this recipe that doesn't use a wheat grinder! Thanks for all your responses to my food storage plea.

For you folks that have wheat but no grinder, a wonderful way to start using it is by making blender pancakes. I promise they are wonderful! We eat them nearly every weekend at my house.

Blender Pancakes1.5 C. wheat kernals2 C. milk (may use Buttermilk)3 T. vegetable oil2 eggs1 T. sugar or honey1/2 t. salt1 T. Baking Powder (if using buttermilk, use 2 t. Baking Soda instead )

Put wheat and milk in a strong blender and blend for 4-5 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except for Baking Powder and blend 1-2 more minutes. Add baking powder and blend till just mixed.

Fry on a hot griddle. These won't be quite as light and fluffy as white flour pancakes but the taste great. Using buttermilk does make them seem a bit lighter I think.

This recipe makes enough for my family of 6 (including 2 teenagers) and sometimes we don't eat them all - but they store ok in an airtight bag for a day or so and my kids argue over who gets them the next morning. So if your family is smaller/younger you might want to cut it down a bit - (1 C. flour and 1 1/3 C. milk)

No comments: