Sunday, March 29, 2009

Skiing

Well, my kids had a day off school on Friday, so instead of sleeping in and allowing them to watch TV and play video games all day (what I wanted to do), I took Parker and Emi skiing (what I should do). We had gone over Christmas, and my dear sister is an amazing ski teacher, so she gave them both a great start. I took Parker by himself a few weeks back, and he really became self-sufficient. I was really freaked out to take 2 beginning skiers, but said "What the Heck" and did it anyway. I was smart enough to put Emi in a morning lesson, which helped greatly. She's not exactly loving taking advice from her mom right now. She ended up having a private lesson and did super. In fact, when she joined me and Parker, I hardly had to help her at all! Wow...we have reached a milestone! I can take these two skiing, by myself.
Bill, snowboarder that he is, is of no help in this situation. Snowboarders cannot teach skiers, or even go slow enough for moral support. I have GIGANTIC respect for my mom, who took us 4 kids skiing all the time growing up. My dad does not ski, and she was brave beyond measure. Just putting on all our boots would have been nightmare!

(enjoying her well deserved cookie at the end of her class)

Here is Emi with her teacher. Glad it wasn't me! Well, I think I am officially done with skiing for the season. With my growing belly, my snowpants barely fit. So no more until next year. It was a gorgeous day with great snow and no crowds...a great way to end!
Speaking of Emi and her lack of desire to listen to her mother's better judgement, I could not convince her that this outfit was wrong in so many ways. How can you argue with the fact that they are both black and white? I, control freak that I am, held firm that she would not go to see Monster's Vs. Aliens with us until she changed shirts. She can discuss it with her therapist in years to come.

8 comments:

brooke said...

My mom took us skiing by herself too (My dad never did anything!) and I can't believe it looking back. Good for you and it sounds like the kids did great. Emi's outfit cracks me up. I'm the same way about clothes. We just pay too much for the clothes to have them not where them the right way!

Ashley said...

I am very impressed--especially that you did it pregnant! You are such a good sport. I am jealous of Emi's zebra pants and her cookie!

Cindy said...

Amazing! Jay and I talk about taking the kids skiing all summer long....then winter hits and we hunker down.....and don't even hit the slope ourselves. We'll get there though.

Emily K. said...

You are a brave mom, I'm super impressed your kids are skiing.
I love Emi's outfit and see nothing wrong with it. ;) My kids dress like that all the time actually.

youreprettytoo said...

I am very impressed with you taking your kids skiing. You have inspired me to try with my kids- although it will probably have to wait until next year, seeing as how it is spring- at least by the calendar- not so much by the weather. Also my girls dress like Emi ALL the time. It just isn't worth the fight

Marrdy said...

OK, you get Mom of the Year award!! And Emi looks great in her outfit! Girls, gotta love em.

Linda said...

That Emi is ADORABLE in ANYTHING!! And such a brilliant, beautiful child!! You are an amazing mom, Liz - glad the skiing went well!

Unknown said...

You Rock Mom!
Love, Parker & Emi