Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ah...the good old days!

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to attend an all-day reunion for BYU alumni dancers from the modern/contemporary department. It was so wonderful! I totally transported back in time and became the 20 year old dance major again. I took technique/improv class in 185/187 RB, I trekked up the "stairs of death" to go eat at the new and improved Cougar Eat, I listened to my brilliant former professors who haven't aged a day, I saw dear, dear old friends (and some  I didn't want to see, but oh well), and enjoyed an inspiring concert by the Dancer's Company. 

The whole reunion was dedicated to the "Spirit of Mentoring" in honor of the passing of Dee Winterton,  a stellar professor who was killed in a car accident 25 years ago. I never met the man, but was definitely influenced by his work in dance and education. All my sweet professors were mentors to me. Bill always laughs at me because he doesn't get how us dancers were so buddy-buddy with our professors. Dance is an intimate thing...if you dance with someone, you are connected in a way that would be impossible in a chemistry class. Heck...I've been in half of my professor's houses. I've even shared a bed in a hotel with a professor (that sounds bad...there were four of us...professors had to stay with students...modern dance budget was slim compared to the mighty BYU ballroom team). Anyway, I was lucky to be a part of that family. It seems like another life. I'm glad I'm where I'm at....those awful life decisions you have to make in college are a bear, but I miss those days where I could selfishly dance (literally)12-14 hours a day, do a little homework, hang with roommates, and deal with a little romance drama (o.k....a LOT of romance drama). It was a beautiful day to lose myself so I could find me again!

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Isn't amazing how quickly and quietly you can transport back to those wonderful....carefree (only now that you look back at them knowing what you know now) days. Right now my blog has a bunch of my old college music on it....that's my transporter.

brooke said...

That sounds like so much fun. I was just looking through my BYU scrapbook and reminiscing about the good old days when the only person I had to worry about was me. I loved my college days--I think I'm going to do a post on college! Thanks for the great idea.

youreprettytoo said...

I'm glad I got to be part of the "hanging out with roommates" part and I was privy to some of the "romance drama!" Those were some good times!

Unknown said...

Sounds like an awesome day! It was always a source of pride to tell people that one of my roommates was a BYU cheerleader. You were always an awesome roommate!

And sorry about the blinds thing. Looking back 15 years, that was pretty bad...

Marrdy said...

What a fun time. I don't think most guys understand the bond you make with people you interact they way dancers do. (unless, of course they are dancers too.)

Glad you had a good time!

Bill said...

I can't wait to have my day back at BYU. We'll gather around a table on the 1st floor of the Clyde engineering building HP super calculators in hand and try to some heat transfer or fluid dynamics question (I'll be the dumbest in the bunch)...or better yet we'll re live the tour of the Provo waste water treatment plant - now that was some good old days!